When Mary Kay Ash opened a 500 square foot store front in Dallas, Texas with five beauty products displayed on a single metal shelf in 1963 her goal was to enrich womens lives. With the support of her family and the help of nine Independent Beauty Consultants, Beauty by Mary Kay became the realization of her dream to provide women with an opportunity that offered personal growth and financial independence. Now, as Mary Kay Inc. celebrates its 50th anniversary, more than 200 Mary Kay® products are sold in more than 35 countries around the world by the Mary Kay independent sales force.
Today, as Mary Kay kicked-off its annual convention in the United States at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Dallas, the iconic beauty brand announced that its independent sales force now consists of 3 million people around the world. The company reported a global independent sales force count of 2.5 million last year.
Our 50th anniversary has been a record-setting year for our company, said David Holl, President and Chief Executive Officer for Mary Kay Inc. Women of all backgrounds and ages continue to turn to Mary Kay for the products they love and trust as well as the unparalleled opportunity.
In the past year, 350,000 Mary Kay businesses were started by new independent sales force members around the world. In the U.S., 90,000 of those businesses were started in the first quarter of 2013 helping to contribute to the highest sales month in company history in March. Additionally, the months of April, May and June 2013 each set global company records in sales for their respective months.
While the global economy continues to improve, women are still turning to Mary Kay to pursue their short- and long-term financial goals, said Holl.
Mary Kay independent beauty consultants are also looking younger, and not just because of the skincare and color cosmetics they sell. Thirty five percent of new Independent Beauty Consultants in the U.S. are from the Gen Y segment (18- 30 years old) while approximately half of the Mary Kay independent sales force in the U.S. is aged 35 or younger.
Gen Y has a unique set of talents and career expectations that go beyond the 9 to 5 setting, said Sheryl Adkins-Green, Chief Marketing Officer for Mary Kay Inc. These women are tech-savvy and digitally connected and appreciate the training, flexibility and community a Mary Kay business offers as they look to enrich their lives in meaningful ways.
Mary Kay is hosting its annual convention in Dallas from July 21 through Aug. 7 where the success of the companys independent sales force is celebrated. Seminar is focused on recognizing Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultants for their achievements while also providing education, inspiration and motivation for the year ahead. This years Seminar theme, in honor of the companys 50th anniversary, One Woman CanTM, pays tribute to the enormous impact Mary Kay has had on the lives of women around the world.
Mary Kays first Seminar in 1964 was held in the companys warehouse where 200 attendees dined on chicken cooked by Mary Kay Ash herself. This year, nearly 50,000 people will attend the event at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Dallas generating an economic impact of $49.4 million for the city according to the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Mary Kay Milestones
- 1963 Beauty by Mary Kay Opens for business in Dallas
- 1964 Mary Kay holds first company convention known as Seminar
- 1969 Five Independent Sales Directors earn the use of a signature pink 1970 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
- 1971 Mary Kays first international subsidiary opens in Australia
- 1973 Mary Kays independent sales force grows to 20,000 during the companys 10th anniversary
- 1974 Mary Kay moves Seminar to the Dallas Convention Center
- 1989 Mary Kay enacts a comprehensive corporate recycling program
- 1991 Worldwide wholesale sales reach $1 billion
- 1996 The Mary Kay Foundation is established to support research for cancers affecting
women and programs to fight against domestic violence
- 2001 Mary Kay Ash passes away on Thanksgiving Day
- 2003 Mary Kay celebrates its 40th anniversary and 1 million Independent Beauty Consultants
- 2010 Mary Kays global subsidiaries celebrate milestones of their own: 30 years in Argentina, 15 years in China, 10 years in Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Philippines and Slovakia, 5 years in Moldova and operations open in Armenia
- 2013 Mary Kay celebrates 50th anniversary with $3 billion in global wholesale sales and 3 million Independent Beauty Consultants
About Mary Kay
Irresistible products. Positive community impact. Rewarding opportunity. For 50 years, Mary Kay has offered it all. With 3 million Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultants and $3 billion in global annual wholesale sales, Mary Kay is a top beauty brand and direct seller in more than 35 markets around the world. To learn more or to locate a Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant in your area, please visit marykay.com.