There is no magic food you should eat for a pre-workout meal, but there are certain foods that could help you make the most out of your workout. These food items typically include quality carbohydrates, lean protein, heart-healthy fats and fluids. The goal is to provide energy, build muscle and promote fat burning.
So what foods should you eat? In a previous Saludify article we explored what and when to eat for a pre-workout meal, but here are some actual recipes for people who want more than just a bowl of plain oatmeal.
Top 3 recipes for that pre-workout meal
Guacamole chicken wraps
Made with lean chicken and healthy avocado, these wraps are light and healthy. They’re also great for taking to work if you go to workout in the afternoon.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe peeled avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded plum tomato
- 4 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
- 2 cups of boneless grilled chicken
Combine line juice, salt and avocado in a bowl; mash. Spread mixture on tortilla and add grilled chicken, lettuce and tomato.
Pickled fish salad with potatoes and greens
This salad contains protein, carbs and some vegetables to help the body maintain a constant energy supply.
- 1/4 pounds whole sardines or American mackerel
- 4 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- About 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pickling spice, crushed
- 1 pound thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-in. chunks
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers cut into 2-in. pieces
- 1 1/2 qts. lightly packed salad mix
Combine the vinegar, the lemon juice, salt, and cup water in a cup and pour half of the mixture over the fish. Chill, covered, for approximately 2 hours. Combine remaining remaining mixture, the oil, and pickling spice in a large bowl with the salad dressing and set it aside. Cook potatoes until tender when pierced. Drain, let cool and then cut into smaller pieces. Place them back into the pan and mix in the salad dressing mixture. Add peppers and fish to the potatoes and then place over a bed of greens.
Apple cider oatmeal with pecans
Of course we couldn’t forget the oatmeal recipe! Oats are a great source of energy and will keep you feeling full.
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
Bring cider, water and salt to a boil and then stir in oats. Cook pecans if desired on the stove to toast. Remove oatmeal from the stove and then add milk. Top with pecans and serve.
Remember to leave an hour in-between your meal and the start of your workout to allow for proper digestion. Good luck!